We have heard it umpteen times that an apple a day keeps a doctor away. But hey, did you know that having a mango a day is also very essential to be in good health? Mango is the national fruit of India, Pakistan, and the Philippines and rules the heart and health of almost everyone!
The long list of health benefits that mango provides, is very likely to consider it the king of all fruits!
- Mango contains antioxidants like isoquercitrin, methylgallat, fisetin, astragalin, quercetin and gallic acid which help to protect against leukemia, colon, breast and prostate cancers. Apart from these essential antioxidant compounds, mango contains copious enzymes which protect our health from many hazards.
- Whoever says or believes that tasty things always come with the problem of increasing body weight would be happy to know since mango is fibrous, the digestive function of the body gets boosted by its intake whereby additional calories are burnt and weight loss results consequently.
- Mango contains high levels of pectin, Vitamin C and fibres which help to decrease the serum cholesterol levels. Fresh mango is very rich in potassium which helps to control blood pressure and heart rate.
- Vitamin A is one of the most important nutrients that we need. A cup of sliced mangoes fulfills a quarter of daily requirement of vitamin A. Interestingly enough mangoes can contribute so much to good eye health! Along with promoting good eye sight, it helps to fight dry eyes and stop night blindness.
- Mango leaves are great for normalizing the level of insulin in blood. Boiling mango leaves in water and soaking the same overnight before consuming the filtered liquid the next morning has been an age old convention. Since the glycemic index of mango is low, generous consumption of the fruit does not shoot up sugar levels in human body.
- The enzymes present in mangoes help to break down protein. It is because of the fibrous nature of mango that digestion is aided.
- Mango contains an electric combination of Vitamins A, C and twenty five other types of carotenoids all of which team up to maintain a healthy and sound immune system.